Name of Book: Give a Goat
Author: Jan West Schrock
Illustrator: Aileen Darragh
Publisher: Tilbury House Publishers
Audience: Ages 7 – 10
Summary: A fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Rowell reads her class the story of Beatrice’s Goat on a rainy school day. The true story is about a girl in Africa who could not go to school because her family did not have the money to send her. Her family is given a goat from the Heifer International Program. The presence of the goat in their lives begins a chain of events that allows the family to grow and prosper so that Beatrice can attend school. The fifth grade class takes on the project of raising money to buy a goat for a poverty stricken family in Africa. The story details their efforts.
Literary elements at work in the story: The theme of working together and giving to others to truly make a difference in one small corner of the world is the primary literary element in this story.
Perspective on gender/race/culture/economic ability: Economic perspective is highlighted in this story. The story within this story about Beatrice illustrates the reality of poverty that families living in third world countries face each day and the fact that many children in these places do not have the luxury of attending school as contrasted with all that is available to children in school here in the United States so that they can learn.
Scripture: Acts 20:35, Matthew 6:2, 2 Corinthians 9:7-9
- We are God’s chosen people and are called to go into the world as missionaries.
- Belonging to the church means belonging to a community of people who serve God in their communities and in the world.
- God’s action of grace towards God’s people makes possible our action to serve God by giving to others.
Faith Talk Questions:
- How does the story of Beatrice’s Goat inspire the 5th grade children?
- What happens when people work together?
- What steps do the children take in order for their plan to succeed?
- What can we learn when we give a gift, such as a goat, to others?
- What could our Sunday school class or church do to help someone else?
- How does giving to others show the love of Jesus?
- What kind of attitude do we need to have when it comes to giving?
Review prepared by Marcia Rauch, MACE, Entering cohort Fall 2006
Give a Goat by Storypath is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.