1. What is Union Presbyterian Seminary?
As our website says, we are a graduate theological institution of the Presbyterian Church (USA) that provides “…education for Christian ministry that is scholarly, pastoral and engaged with contemporary life.” We have campuses in Richmond, Virginia and Charlotte, North Carolina, and offer a hybrid residential/online program for Christian educators as well.
2. Who writes your book reviews?
Lots of different people. Many reviews are written by students who took a children’s and adolescent literature course with Dr. Pamela Mitchell-Legg. Others are graduates of Union Presbyterian Seminary who loved books and Bible study and loved making connections between the two. Still others are people who have written books about children’s literature. You can find out more about our writers on the About the Writers page.
3. I’m having trouble searching for something on your site. Can you help?
WordPress, the platform on which this site is built, does not have the sophisticated indexes or search capabilities that you might find in a library catalog. But we have tried to make finding books simpler in a few ways.
1. Use the Scripture or Theme indexes to point you to books .
2. If you are searching by a phrase, use the search bar on every page and put your phrase in quotes. (Ex: “world communion” rather than world communion will give you better results.
3. If you want to search for books for a certain age group with a particular theme, you’ll need to use the categories we have created which can be found in the dropdown menu under “Book Reviews”, remembering to use quotes around all phrases. For example. “Books Written for Preschoolers” friendship will bring up all books written for preschoolers that have friendship as a tag or keyword in the review.
4. Who owns the copyright for what’s on the site and can I use anything here?
Although this site is copyrighted, each writer, in allowing his or her work to be posted here, agrees to let his or her work be used in various settings. Nothing from our site can be sold. Our only request is that if you use anything , you give us credit, particular the writer! This can be done by a link to a specific post or to our website or a written acknowledgement of where material was found. We love it when people find things to use here. We also love for others to know where you’ve found something you can use.
5. Can I save book titles into a list to look at later?
At the bottom of every post is a small blue link that says “Add to Your List”. If you click on that, a document will be created that is readable by your browser. It will be there every time you come back to the site until you clear your computer cache.